Since its founding in 2007, EACSOF has undertaken different capacity building initiatives such as:
- Trained member organizations on human rights, good governance and policy engagement, including civil society participation in trade negotiations.
- Developed a sensitization manual for CSOs on EAC structures and processes and how CSOs can engage with the EAC – “Strengthening Popular Participation in the East African Community- A Guide to EAC
Structures and Processes”
- Established the EAC Annual CSO Conference, as a strong pillar for galvanization of the civic voice. Organized 6 CSO capacity development events through increased collaboration, interaction and experience sharing among.
Civil Society Organizations across the region from 2006 to 2012, during which CSOs explored the following themes:
- “Agenda-Setting: the Role of Civil Society in the East African Community” – Arusha 2006;
- “Elaborating the Human Rights System in the East African Community” – Arusha 2007;
- “Strengthening Civil Society in the EAC: Sharing experience with other RECs” – Arusha 2009;
- “The role of Civil Society in the EAC Common Market” – Arusha 2010;
- “Promoting Good Governance for Sustainable Development in the EAC” – Bujumbura 2011;
- “Activating Thematic Advocacy Working Groups” – Nairobi August 2012