EACSOF Secretariat to Celebrate International Women’s Day 2018.
…..theme: “Press for Progress; Planet 50-50 by 2030
East African Civil Society Organizations Forum (EACSOF), Arusha, 7th March, 2018: The East African Civil Society Organizations Forum (EACSOF) together with The East African Community (EAC) will join the rest of the world in marking the 2018 International Women’s Day on 8th March, 2018. The event will take place at the EAC Headquarters in Arusha, Tanzania.
The International Women’s Day is held annually on March 8 to celebrate women’s achievements throughout history and across nations. It is also known as the United Nations (UN) Day for Women’s Rights and International Peace. The UN drew global attention to women’s concerns in 1975 by calling for an International Women’s Year.
The International Women’s Day is a time to reflect on the progress made in women’s rights, to call for change, and to celebrate acts of courage and determination by ordinary women who have played an extraordinary role in the history of women’s rights. The theme for the International Women’s Day 2018 is Press for Progress; Planet 50-50 by 2030.
As provided for in Articles 121 and 122 of the Treaty for the Establishment of the EAC, Partner States have undertaken various efforts to enhance the Role of Women in Business and Socio-Economic Development.
The EAC Partner States recognize that women make a significant contribution towards the process of economic transformation and sustainable growth and that it is impossible to implement effective programmes for the economic and social development of the Partner States without the full participation of women.
To this end, the EAC has put the inclusion of women and girls at the centre of development programmes with Partner States ensuring affirmative action, constitutional and legal reforms, development of national gender policies; institutional mechanisms for implementation and accountability; economic empowerment measures, and sector-specific policies.
The EAC Secretariat is therefore committed to have a Community where women can participate as equal partners, decision makers, and beneficiaries in the development of their societies.
To mark International Women’s Day on 8th March, 2018, the EAC Secretariat has organized special events to celebrate the International Women’s Day as follows;
- Together with the Arusha City Council, Women’s Organizations, partners at the regional level, Staff of the EAC Secretariat and other guests, the EAC Secretary General, Amb Liberat Mfumukeko will lead all women and men in a ‘walk for gender equality’
- Visit to Mount Meru Hospital to donate a package of materials in maternity ward and discuss with the administration the progress made so far since EAC visit to the hospital in 2014.
Celebrations at the EAC Headquarters:
This will feature talks and presentations:
- A panel session on: Agriculture Sector: Jacqueline Mkindi from Tanzania Horticultural Association (TAHA); Finance- Kenya Commercial Bank (KCB); Tourism- Lady Tour Guides; Mining- Women in Mining
- By Women Leaders in the EAC – Topic: ‘Press for Progress’
- On progress made to achieve Gender parity in the EAC by 2030
- Presentations from the IIDEA projects that focus on women and with success stories
- Moderated interactive session
- Some other initiatives that show tremendous progress