EAC EPA :The European Commission proposal for a Council decision to sign and provisionally apply the EPA came out on 11 February 2016. At that moment, the text was also published in the different EU languages. Since then, the following activities have been undertaken:
- EPA translated into Kiswahili and circulated to the Partner States and shared with the EU;
- EU proposed revisions of a formatting, clerical and editorial nature and EAC provided responses on them
- EU has informed the EAC that the EU Council of Ministers will meet on 20 June 2016 to decide on the authorization for signature.
In Brief, the EU- EAC – EPA needs Critical amendments on:
- Exclusion of non-agricultural products from liberalization in line with industrialization strategies
- MFN Clause
- Definition of Parties
- Financial (additional) commitment on development cooperation including EPA Development Matrix
- Agricultural subsidies
- Tariff revenue loss and operationalization of mechanism for compensation
- Rules of Origin
EACSOF will continue networking with South Center in promoting common interests in the international trade arena.
EACSOF will lobby EAC government not to ratify the EPA due to the aforementioned critical gaps.
EACSOF will conduct further research and analysis on impact of EPA to EAC economy in terms of Employment, SMEs ,Trade of Intermediate goods in regards to current tariff lines at risk / future ‘products at risk’.
EAC- EPA AGREEMENT
A CALL TO THE EAC PARTNER STATES TO RETHINK THE SIGNATURE AND RATIFICATION OF THE EU- EAC ECONOMIC PARTNERSHIP AGREEMENT (EPA)
AN ANALYSIS OF THE RENDEZVOUS CLAUSE IN THE EAC-EU-EPA